Best Beekeeping Suit: 12 Options, Reviewed
If you want to enjoy harvesting honey and interacting with bees without the constant fear or getting stung (again and again), you need the best beekeeping suit.
Out of the hundreds available online claiming to be “the one”, how do you choose? And what if you don’t need one with all the bells and whistles?
- The 12 Best Bee Suits
- 1. Humble Bee 420 Aero Beekeeping Suit with Round Veil – Best Overall
- 2. VIVO Professional Beekeeping Jacket – Budget Pick
- 3. Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit – Most Sting-Proof Beekeeping Suit
- 4. Humble Bee 410 Beekeeping Suit with Round Veil
- 5. Humble Bee 430 Ventilated Beekeeping Suit with Round Veil
- 6. Natural Apiary – Apiarist Beekeeping Suit
- 7. XGUNION Professional Beekeeper Suit
- 8. VIVO Professional Full Body Beekeeping Suit with Veil Hood
- 9. Forest Beekeeping Supply Fencing Hood Jacket
- 10. Bees & Co U74 Beekeeper Suit with Fencing Veil
- 11. Ultra Breeze Beekeeping Suit with Veil
- 12. BeeAttire Bee Suit with Easy Access Veil
- Buying Guide: How to choose a bee suit
The 12 Best Bee Suits
Here’s a breakdown of the top 12 beekeeping suits on the market, as rated by seasoned beekeepers. We’ve also included a handy description of which suits are recommended for specific aspects of beekeeping….because one size does NOT fit all.
Personal protective equipment like a bee suit is a must when beekeeping (1). Let’s take a look at an in-depth breakdown of the best beekeeping suits on the market to assist you in safe beekeeping practices.
1. Humble Bee 420 Aero Beekeeping Suit with Round Veil – Best Overall
Material: 100% synthetic aerated fabric
- Pockets: Three double-stitched front pockets, four ballistic nylon hive tool pockets
- Veil: Self-supporting round veil with 360-degree mesh
- Fit and Protection: Unisex design, lightweight foam insert between two layers of fabric, durable brass zippers, polycotton cuffs
- Available Sizes: X-Small-XxxLarge
The Humble Bee 420 Aero Beekeeping Suit lands on our top spot because of its fit and the protection and coverage it offers.
Bee stings are not a concern with the foam insert stitched between two layers of fabric. The layers are lightweight and breathable, making this suit ideal for all weather conditions, even when it’s hot outside. It has a round veil too to keep bees out of your face. (2)
“The most basic type of protective gear is the bee veil. It’s easier to focus on what we are doing when we don’t have bees crawling around on our faces”
The Humble Bee 420 features a unisex beekeeping suit design, and are great for professional and beginners. These bee suits are the most suitable for beekeeping and are our best bee suit choice.
2. VIVO Professional Beekeeping Jacket – Budget Pick
Material: Lightweight polyester fabric
- Pockets: Large 7” front pocket
- Veil: Protective hood that unzips partially
- Fit and Protection: Elastic wrist cuffs and black mesh head cover
- Available Sizes: Kids Medium – Adult XX Large
The VIVO Professional Beekeeping Jacket is the most affordable beekeeping suit as it is significantly less expensive than other options on the market.
This is a beekeeping jacket, so the coverage stops at the elastic waistband instead of providing full-body coverage.
The lightweight and extremely breathable material make this beekeeping suit great for working outdoors during the hot months. All jackets are fitted with elastic cuffs and waistbands to keep bees from getting inside.
These jackets come in a wide variety of sizes. They range from child sizes for your beekeeper-in-training to XX-Large adult sizes, making the jackets ideal for almost anyone.
This is a great option if you are a beekeeper who also needs to take care of bees and wasps in their yard or around their home.
This jacket is more suited for beginners and is more affordable than other options.
Check this video for more details on VIVO:
3. Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit – Most Sting-Proof Beekeeping Suit
Material: 60% cotton, 40% polyester
- Pockets: Two covered chest-flap pockets, two open pockets at the hip, one additional hive tool pocket on the leg
- Veil: Self-supporting, collapsible hood with mesh veil
- Fit and Protection: Elastic wrists and ankle cuffs, elastic thumb, and tough ankle zippers
- Available Sizes: Small-XxxLarge
The Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper suit is not only affordable; it is also a sting proof bee suit. These suits are reinforced with strong zippers and sturdy velcro around the neck to prevent bees from sneaking in. Buyers of this suit have boasted that the durability of these suits is at the top of the food chain. Though making a suit that is 100% sting proof is not completely possible, Mann Lake’s suits are as close to perfect in that respect as you can get.
No suit can protect a beekeeper from every sting, but a healthy dose of prevention plus respect for your bees can go a long way toward avoiding injury.
Along with the heavy-duty fabrics and zippers, this beekeeper suit with a self-supporting veil comes with four pockets and an added pocket on the leg for tools, which is very convenient for working. The elastic around the wrists and ankles is strong and tight. The ankles also have zippers to make getting the suit on and off a breeze. These suits fit true to size and do not wear down over a short period of time.
Who it’s made for: The Mann Lake suit is a good option for both professionals and beginners, however it is designed to withstand a lot of possible bee stings so professionals may benefit more.
Material: Polycotton; 50% cotton, 50% synthetic blend
- Pockets: Six double-stitched front pockets, four ballistic nylon hive tool pockets
- Veil: Self-supporting round veil with 360-degree mesh
- Fit and Protection: Strong brass zippers and elastic waist
- Available sizes: Xx-Small-Xxx-Large
This beekeeping suit comes in a wide variety of sizes and features an elastic waist, making it comfortable for many body types.
The Humble Bee 410 polycotton beekeeping suit will keep you safe from bee stings with its durable polycotton blend and strong, self-supporting veil. The removable veil offers full mesh coverage to provide you with optimal airflow, unobstructed vision, and reliable barrier for your face.
This full suit for beekeeping is made for both men and women, and are suitable for both beginners and professionals alike.
Material: 50% cotton, 50% synthetic blend fabric with synthetic ventilation panels
- Pockets: Two double-stitched front pockets, two ballistic nylon hive tool pockets
- Veil: Self-supporting round veil with 360-degree mesh
- Fit and Protection: Unisex design with brass zippers and cushioned knee pads
- Available Sizes: X-Small-XxxLarge
The Humble Bee 430 Ventilated Beekeeping suit is a great choice if you prefer optimal bee defense without sweating too much. It comes with ventilation panels stitched in to make air flow consistent and strong.
This suite is also fitted with soft, cushioned knee pads to make overall comfort a better experience for you. To protect your head, you will love this suit with round veil.
Many buyers noted that the Humble Bee 430 is a fantastic option for women because of its unisex design and tailored fit.
A fantastic addition to the Humble Bee brand is the company’s promise to donate ten percent of every purchase to a non-profit organization to promote local beekeeping and assist in bee conservation efforts.
Not only are you purchasing a high-quality beekeeping suit, but you are also helping save the bees of the world and continue promoting their protection as species.
These unisex bee suits are great for all levels of beekeeping. They are a top option for professional beekeeper too as they offer the most ventilation for long-term use.
Material: Poly-Cotton blend; 65% cotton, 35% polyester
- Pockets: Two hive tool pockets, Two large pockets
- Veil: Fireproof mesh with clear visibility
- Fit and Protection: YKK strong metal zippers high adhesive velcro and elastic reinforced thick neck collar
- Available Sizes: Xx-Small-XxxLarge
The Natural Apiary Beekeeping suit is ranked our most popular option among bee suits. They allow you to enjoy your beekeeping experience without putting comfort and defense on the line.
Natural Apiary Apiarist Beekeeping Suit boasts safety as the number one priority, so they only utilize the top fabrics to create their beekeeping suits.
The veil is easily removable and has a thick neck collar to provide you with more comfort when working with the bees. All of the suits have YKK zippers, which are stronger than brass, meaning your beekeeping suit should last a very long time.
Natural Apiary brands offer free returns and exchanges on your beekeeping suits in order to ensure a comfortable fit and optimal defense.
The Natural Apiary suit is one of the most popular options for professionals. Beginners can use the Apiarist beekeeping suit as well, but this full suit for beekeeping is designed with professional use in mind.
Material: Lightweight polycotton blend
- Pockets: Large front pocket
- Veil: Self-supporting hood with mesh veil
- Fit and Protection: Unisex design, tailored fit with elastic waistband, elastic wrists, and elastic ankles
- Available Sizes: One Size Fits Most
The Xgunion Professional Beekeeper Suit is our top beginner beekeeper suit. This polycotton beekeeping suit comes in three pieces with a jacket, gloves, and pants to keep you covered from head to toe when working with bees. This suit is ideal for beginners because it is sting proof, affordable, and of good enough quality to work on bees in your backyard or start dabbling in the beekeeping business.
The fabric in this suit is lightweight and easy to take off and put on. They only come in one size, so it is important to read the measurements before making a purchase. The hood veil can stand on its own and collapsible. If you need to take it off for any reason, that is simple to do. The Gunion suits come with a 30-day refund and return for up to three months to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your purchase.
Who it’s made for: The XGunion suit is a fantastic beginner suit for those who are new to beekeeping. It allows you to dabble in the trade before making a bigger purchase.
Material: Lightweight, protective fabrics
- Pockets: Two chest pockets with flaps, two side pockets on the hips
- Veil: Self-supporting, collapsible with mesh veil
- Fit and Protection: Heavy-duty zippers, elastic wrist and ankle cuffs fits up to 6’
- Available Sizes: Small-XxLarge
The VIVO Large Cotton Full Body Suit is our pick if you’re going to handle hornets and wasps too. It is also a fantastic option for beginners. The suits do not feature an elastic waist, so they are more comfortable for those with larger frames and builds. They are sting proof and sturdy, which is why they are a great option if you are going to be dealing with wasps and other more aggressive forms of stinging creatures.
The full-body cotton suit is equipped with lightweight and breathable fabrics that keep you cool while dealing with bees. The hood and jacket are both hand washable. All of the suits are fitted with heavy-duty zippers and velcro over the zippers for maximum bee defense. The wrists and ankles are also fitted with tight elastic to keep intruders out. As for the veil, it has a mesh barrier that keeps the bees away.
Who it’s made for: The Full Body suit from VIVO is more suited for beginners or hobby beekeepers. This full bee suit is also great for dealing with pests in your yard, and is a top choice if you have a particular problem with wasps or hornets.
Material: Raw canvas cotton
- Pockets: One chest pocket, two lower pockets with velcro straps
- Veil: Fiberglass screen, thick mesh veil
- Fit and Protection: Lightweight, YKK heavy-duty zippers, elastic waist and wrists, thumb straps
- Available Sizes: Medium-XxLarge
The Forest Beekeeping Supply beekeeping jacket is the most true-to-size option on the market. These jackets are fitted and come with elastic at the waist and wrists to keep unwanted visitors from crawling inside. Whether you are a professional beekeeper or someone who is trying to deal with some issues at home, this jacket will keep you protected from stings and other potential issues.
The jackets have high quality YKK zippers, which are stronger than brass. The zippers go around the veil and the jacket to prevent breakage. There is also a velcro closure over the zippers to keep everything tightly closed. The veils also have a fiberglass screen to protect your face and eyes. Safety is the number one priority with beekeeping jackets, and these hit every mark in terms of standards and protection.
Material: Natural, unbleached cotton
- Pockets: One chest pocket with flap, two side pockets
- Veil: Removable, self supporting fencing veil
- Fit and Protection: Elastic waistband and cuffs, elastic thumb loops, unisex design, heavy-duty zippers
- Available Sizes: XSmall-XXXLarge
The Bees & Co Natural Cotton Beekeeper suit is the first suit in the world made with 100% unbleached, natural cotton material. The fabric is better for your skin and kinder to the environment and the bees. It is also more sting resistant than generic options. Due to the natural material, it is safer than other standard options because of the durability of the materials. These suits feature a reliable veil too.
These suits are also true-to-size and fit a wide range of builds. They fit people up to 6’6” tall. Bees & Co suits are designed with beekeepers in mind by professional beekeepers. They offer a full refund along with an additional 10% off any other product if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase. You’ll also get a competitive two-year warranty.
Who it’s made for: This natural beekeeping suit with veil is a fantastic unisex option that is also good for the environment. It was created for beekeepers by beekeepers, so we would recommend it for professionals.
Long-term, professional beekeepers boast about the Ultra Breeze Large Beekeeping suit because of its quality and durability. These Ultra Breeze suits are different from your average single layer beekeeping suits. They feature three layers of ventilated mesh fabrics made from polyester and vinyl combinations.
Ultra Breeze is ideal for warmer months because of its ventilated design. It is breathable and comfortable without sacrificing bee protection.
The Ultra Breeze beekeeping suit is easy to take off and put on because of the YKK brass zippers that climb all the way up the leg. All of the suits are comfortable and breathable. They are machine washable, but the hood veil needs to be washed by hand.
Who it’s made for: This Ultra Breeze suit is for expert beekeepers who prefers ventilated beekeeping. It is lightweight and comes with ventilation for comfort. The easy maintenance makes it a sustainable option for beginners as well.
Material: 100% cotton
- Pockets: One chest pocket, two side pockets
- Veil: Fencing veil with ear cover, fiberglass net, and removable hood
- Fit and Protection: YKK heavy-duty zippers, elastic ankles and wrists, elastic loops on thumbs and heels, unisex design
- Available Sizes: XSmall-10XL and Custom Sizes
The BeeAttire Bee Suits are incredible for any size. They offer everything from an extra-small size to a 10XL. They also offer custom sizes for those who require it. All of the suits are made from 100% cotton and thick fabrics to protect against bee stings and penetration. These suits are highly comfortable and allow you to move around easily through both hot and cold temperatures while attending to your bees.
These suits are unisex, so they have an elastic waistband. They also have elastic ankles and wrists, which help keep bees out. Another unique aspect of these suits are the heel and thumb loops made from elastic that exist to help you keep your suit in place without the need to constantly readjust.
Who it’s made for: The BeeAttire suit is for tall beekeepers on both the professional and beginner level. It is great for men and women as well as it fits the most wide range of body types out of all of the suit choices.
Buying Guide: How to choose a bee suit
Now that we have looked at the best bee suit reviews, let’s go ahead and look at some top tips for buying the right beekeeping suit.
Choose the Right Fabric
Most bee suits are made from cotton or a polyester/cotton blend, but it is still a good idea to consider the fabric when buying one. A bit of a barrier between you and the bees is ideal; they don’t want to sting you, but it does happen (3). A washable option is also easier to keep clean.
“Honey and beeswax can both be messy, but propolis is the real culprit. This resin is very sticky, and over time, tends to get smeared on everything you use in your beekeeping: your hive tool and smoker, your gloves, and your bee suit.”
The temperature of the place you live will also play a large role in determining this. If you tend to overheat, consider a ventilated bee suit instead. If you live in a particularly hot area, you can opt for aerated beekeeper suits
Choose the Right Veil
There are a lot of different veil options when it comes to buying a beekeeping suit, and they tend to depend on personal preferences for safe beekeeping (2). A suit with a round veil gives you the biggest field of view. Optimal ventilation makes this an excellent style for professional beekeepers.
Fencing veils ‘hover’ over your head via attachment wires, offering an unobstructed view. Many beekeepers prefer a fencing style to keep their veil off their face and out of the way.
Recommended Next Reading:
- 6 Best Beekeeping Starter Kits
- 9 Best Bee Hive Boxes For Sale
- 16 Bee Types & Species
- 7 Different Kinds of Bee Hives
Your suit should not be too tight. If the suit fits correctly, it will be loose without being baggy. It should allow for easy movement while providing full coverage of your body.
The answer to this will vary depending on the suit that you choose. Typically, beekeeping suits are washed by hand. Some allow for machine washing, but you need to follow the directions carefully. Most veils need to be removed before washing.
If a bee gets into your suit, you should not panic. That will agitate the bee and lead to being stung. What you can do is hit, press, or squish the bee hard into your body. After that, check for openings in the zippers or velcro and quickly close them. Once you have gotten away from the bees, remove your suit and make sure no stragglers are still hanging out.
And that’s it, you’re ready to go! Now you’ll need to harvest that sweet sweet, honey, so check out this guide to finding a great honey extractor, and get to it!
- Personal Protective Equipment for the Body. Retrieved from: https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/media/entnemdeptifasufledu/honeybee/pdfs/4,-April-2014,-Personal-Protective-Equipment,-low-res.pdf
- Safety Around the Bee Hive. Retrieved from: https://extension.illinois.edu/sites/default/files/safety_around_the_beehive.pdf
- Equipment and Maintenance. Retrieved from: https://ucanr.edu/sites/sandiegobees/Beekeeping_-_Hive_Management/Equipment/
Hannah Gregorio has been active in the writing industry since 2010. She holds a BA Journalism degree from the Manila Times College.